Thursday, August 25, 2011

08/25 - blah, blah, blah......blah. Splash.

Storms comin' - Irene is on her way so they say. Maybe I should pack my emergency kit by the door - birth certificate, insurance check(s), any other uncashed checks, ids, items I might need in....just in case : batteries, flashlights, a few clothes, soap, toothpaste - I don't think I'm gonna worry about it today though. Today I better take the dog and cat for a nice long walk, come back and get back to work on the website.....again. This website is my albatros...is that right? In "Rime of the ancient mariner" (yes, it's spelled "Rime") the albatros is the ship's guide and captain's only companion but eventually the captian gets impatient and annoyed, and shoots the bird with an arrow which brings on a massive, vengeful storm in the middle of Antartica. In "Rime" the captain is just a stupid dick.
Maybe if the albatros were pecking at the capt's head over and over and over again for months at a time so he couldn't sleep or be think about anything else - and if the albatros were poking holes in the ship hull so the capt had to swim for shore when there was no shore in sight that might better analogy. to my Dreamweaver/website problem.

Poem ode to "Rime":
"Websites, websites everywhere
and not a page will work in my incompetent hands because I'm an idiot when it comes to programming, either that or Dreamweaver sucks."

A few years ago, when I worked as an artist for Trader Joe's, my boss/.manager (who we had to refer to as "captain" and who was/is a complete dickhole) had me write a few stanzas from "Rime" on the men's room wall as decoration. He didn't really know the poem or what it was about or what it symbolized so, like a dick, he just randomly chose a few lines and told me to paint them on the wall of the men's room. I originally put up what I thought was appropriate: the first few lines from "Fisherman's blues" by the Waterboys but he didn't know the song so it had to come down. (He also had no idea who Patty Page was and didn't know her hit song "Old Cape Cod" so I couldn't use that either.....he is/was a toal and complete fucking moron/bully) 

TJs captain  had  no idea that "Rime" is about a man who, for no real reason, kills his guide - his good luck charm the albatros and, in doing so, kills his crew. The poem ended up being the perfect illustration of our TJs captain managerial style. He had a habit of picking out  a few "crew" members and completely terrorizing and abusing them till they either quit or broke - and when they broke, under his bullying, then he'd make things worse.

However, when chose the stanza he wanted for the bathroom he didn't recognize the lines he chose as being kinda gay-ish:
"The fair breeze blew, the white foam flew,
The furrow followed free;
We were the first that ever burst
Into that silent sea."
Being that TJs captain is/was an abusive homophobe the crew at  TJs had a good giggle over white foam, bursting and blowing in the men's room. "Capt" had no clue .......of course.

Anyway, as you may have gathered, like the "Rime" capt, our Tjs "captain" destroyed every crew relationship that could have made him a huge success. He took people like me, who worked alone, and bullied and tormented till the relationship was shot to hell. He was incredibly viscious to gay men, he tormented the one black man on the staff till he didn't know how to act, and women over 35 were the absolute lowest people on his totem pole. How this guy made it to capt I'll never understand. Although he had a long, well known history of abuse, I was the only person to file a formal complaint against Capt. Bully Pants. And when the company did NOTHING to stop him and I couldn't take it anymore - I tried to pull together a class action lawsuit against him for discrimination, harrassment, bullying (which is illegal in England but not here) and a variety of other charges but no one on the crew would sign on because he would and could make things even worse for everyone involved.

The company has since moved Capt. Dickhole, his wife and family from the Cape Cod store to one in NY where I have NO doubt he'll pull the same abusive and discriminatory crap all over again. I hope someone has the courage to really nail him to the wall this time. And I wanna be there when Karma or crew serves this guy up,. Like the men on the "Rimes" ship, and after everything I've been thru because of him, I wanna be there to witness his destruction. I want a front row seat.

Now back to my albatros....Dreamweaver.





No comments:

Post a Comment