Sunday, March 6, 2011

Sunday 3/06

So, last night I drove to Newport with my friend and painting collaborator John Boucher. I have two paintings in the Deblois Gallery on main st. in Newport - it's a collab and not very big but they have a prime spot on Belleville (the main street), downtown and just a few feet away from the International Tennis Hall of Fame.....I didn't know there was such a thing in the U.S., it seems so European, but there it is.

Newport is a bit of a hike, not in driving time but a hike in sheer patience. The pennisula leading out to Newport is long and bland and (except for the farms) kinda ghetto. But the rid eis ecodnary, I almost didn't go to the show opening because I really dislike openings, I don't like crowds, I don't like being in crowds, I don't like eing squished and tounched, cornered and engaged in conversation. I just want to be in the woods alone or in my Cave de la Hermitage home). Going to any event, but especially an opening, always seems like a fun idea till I'm in the thick of it - people eating and drinking and trying to one up one another while they're eating and drinking....it's gross. Tacky 'look at me' clothes, too much makeup, too much talking in little groups, too much free food and no one buying.  Yucko. But, inspite of my inclination to stay in my Cave de le Hermitage, I went to Newport and Johnny rode shot gun.

After a 45 minute drive, we found a space at the edge of a town square (triangle really). The second we hit town, John decided he didn't want to go in. Unfortunately, he has the same aversion to crowds (that's more than two people gathering) that I do so he stayed in the truck. I didn't think I'd be that long, I thought I'd go in, say hello, look around and leave - that would take about 10, 15 minutes tops. John was left in the truck for 1 1/2hrs.

to be continued -



.

No comments:

Post a Comment