Saturday, December 10, 2011

12/10 - I'm a round peg and I don't have to try to fit in a square box anymore.

Tag Gallery is a new gallery space situated above Thuro skate shop 362 Boylston Street, Brookline MA http://www.facebook.com/ThuroShop. Owner Gabe Holm moved from Warwick RI to the Boston area a few months ago in order to restart his business and I feel really fortunate to have been invited to participate in this first show - it might sound odd for me to have work in a skate shop place but sometimes unusual opportunities pop up that are too good to pass on and I'm really psyched to have been asked. Unfortunately, water and electrical issues and the year long struggle with my landlord (Nick Helgesen) over my work/live studio has prevented me from making as much work or the variety of work I'd planned but.... there we are.

All that aside, I'm so glad my work appeals to guys like Gabe and his gallery manager Joey (who also manages Boston Gallery 303)  - it leaves me feeling like there are no rules and the world is wide open to what I want to do. I'm not relegated anymore to painting any one picture  in order to garner shows, press or sales. Living on Cape Cod most of my life I had somewhat resigned myself to the understanding that when you live by the ocean you can only paint a few things: lighthouse, boat, sand dunes, water. That's it and that's all you should bother to submit to any gallery or gallery space. On the Cape there seems to be a belief  that the buyer's eye and scope of understanding is limited to sea side trite and that individuality is only permissible in exotic places like NY.

 However, with my new pals, art encompasses a much broader scope. No rules, no structure, no expectations, no limits.  You can mix media and build things no one has seen before -  guys like Jeremiah and David at UGLY Gallery in NB (who gave me a massive boost this year!!!)http://www.facebook.com/pages/UGLYgallery/170878809635850 and all their patrons have taught me I don't have to be a round peg desperately trying to fit in a square hole anymore. I feel free to follow my own ideas. That's pretty incredible after years of not quite fitting in.

Anyway - here's some pics of the first show being organized and hung at Tag:

NB artist and musician Joel Monty and Tag Gallery manager, Joey, start the hanging.

Blemished Lily head sits on the floor behind the fellas while they discuss the best way to hang Monty's cat series.

Monty's cat series being hung by NB artist and musician Joel and Joey.
.

Some of my work including a double side illustrated board and an original work by NB artist David Guadalupe.

On the lower left - an original work by David Guadalupe, on the right a Monty hiding behind "Run Rabbit Run" one of several skateboard collages I made specifically for the show, Tag Gallery and Thuro.

A small pile of my work including "Civil" a hand inked, b and w silk screen print, "Angelina's wheels", Ik ben hier" a skateboard collage, " I know you can see me" a 4 board collage, and "I am here" an abstract on wood board"

Gabe Holm, owner of Tag and Thuro, getting ready to hang "Dysfunctional Objects". " "Ik ben hier" in foreground.

Gabe hanging one of Monty's works

Gabe hanging "Dysfunctional Objects"

No comments:

Post a Comment