Wednesday, December 7, 2011

12/07 - Hey, what ya doin'?

So, for the past week I've been up to a my eyes in bullshit and work. I won't focus on the bullshit bc that's got a ways to go before it's over so I'll focus on the work I've been doing to get ready for a show at a new skate shop and gallery in Brookline MA called Thuro. http://www.facebook.com/BladeThuro?sk=info
My pal Gabe had the shop in Warwick but just moved it up to huge space at
362 Boylston Street, Brookline, MA - several rooms, two levels the second being a space he's gnna use as a gallery. I'm really excitied an proud to be a part of his opening - Gabe's a good guy, hard worker and he stands by his word and having a working relationship with him is far more important to me than having my stuff hang up in a more traditional gallery setting. He's forward thinking, inclusionary,generous and trusting - and he's just nice. he's the type of person I appreciate being around. So I looked at this oppportunity as a super fun challenge - what could I come up with that's venue and costomer appropriate?.....well, i loke painting and illustrationg skateboards already so....
 
I think I came up with somethign new: deck collages or skateboard collages. I illustrated and painted masonite and drywall with chalk, aerosol, marker, acrylic and oil paints, attached a variety of othr materials and then mounted the boards. I really had a blast figuring out the project and here' a few of the results:
 
"I know you can see me" board collage - skateboard quad (shown at UGLY Gallery this past Aug) mounted on masonite, chalk, aerosols, marker, acrylic and oil paints, and other materials.   

"ik be hier" (I am here) board mounted on 3' x 4' masonite, pencil, aerosol, chalk, acrylic and oil paints, and other materials.

"Run Rabbit Run" board mounted on drywall and 2' x 2'  masonite - pencil, aerosol, marker, acrylic paint Damar varnish.


"Who we were" waiting to be mounted on masonite and paper - pencil, aerosol, marker, acrylic paint Damar varnish.

"Good dog" - waiting to be mounted on 2' x 2' Masonite and wire messh - pencil, aerosol, marker, acrylic paint Damar varnish.

Detail  "I know you can see me"

Detail "I know you can see me"

Detail "I know you can see me"

This is actually one side of a two sided board but I don't really ahve a name for it yet....I also haven't figured out how to hang it or place it....I want the viewer to be able to turn it or look at the side rthey like without me making the decision for them....this is a toughy.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment