Sunday, May 29, 2011

Sunday 05/29

Well,I just threw in the towel on a class I've been working on for 3 months. Normally, I'm not a quitter. I am not a quitter, quitty pants but this has been one of the most frustrating experiences of my adult life - yes, including taking a class in statistics.

I signed up for a Dreamweaver web design class at RISD. The stated goal was that all students, regardless of experience (or lack of experience) with DW, would have a website in 12 weeks.  Hoqwever, 12 weeks later most of us don't have a site. I don't blame the teacher, I blame RISD - they laid out the carricullum and told our teacher not to veer off the syllabus; 1/2 the time RISD didn't supply a class outline till minutes before class; they supplied us with an assistant teacher who didn't really know DW or how to help teach it; and on top of all that, the computers kept freezing and shutting down. You very simply cannot run a computer class with computers that don't work. The worst part of DW at RISD is that you really need to know how to use DW before you take the DW class which I didn't and don't.

So, 12 weeks, $2,000 and 100s of hours of work later I don't have a single page to put up on the web. I am deeply dissapointed and so frustrated I'm not sure I will bother driving to my last class - I am heartbroken by this RISD "experience".

What's eating at me now (besides all the time, effort and money I've poured into this class) is that for the last month or so I've put everything else on hold - I've had little time for production, my blog, mail outs, etc. I've poured myself into understanding the program so I can reach my web goals in this class and have failed miserably. The setbacks are overwhelming.

No comments:

Post a Comment